Sunday, February 24, 2013

Green Thoughts

Magic Beans

Do you remember our magic beans from last fall?  Here they are, dried and wrinkled now.  Not quite so vibrant, but full of magic just the same.  Full of possibility for the season ahead.

It isn't even March yet, but I have a confession to make.  I bought some potting soil yesterday.  The owner of the plant shop had to bundle up, venture out into the cold, and pull it off a snow-covered pallet.  I lugged the big bag of frozen earth back to the car, with Amabel and Ellen trailing behind, catching enormous snowflakes on their tongues.  There were no other cars in the parking lot.  I was filled with warmth for a moment: alone with my daughters, the snow, and a bag of dirt.   

After a day inside, the soil thawed out.  This afternoon I pulled a basket of seeds from the back of our refrigerator (and a handful we saved from our garden last year—including the magic beans).  Then I planted a few things.  Just a few seeds.  It isn't really time to power up the grow lights and start the garden babies.  We need to wait a few more weeks for that.  But I couldn't resist putting my hands in the dirt today . . . because at the end of frozen February I'm feeling the need for little boost of hope and a tiny bit reassurance in the way of green thoughts.  

Window Sill

Post a Comment