Wednesday, September 26, 2012

A Lesson in the Garden

Gathering

I've been having a hard time making a peaceful transition into autumn.  A couple of weeks ago our temperatures dropped about 40 degrees.  And we went from wearing bathing suits and sleeveless tops to wool socks and knit hats.  Pretty much overnight.

Surveying the Basil

Ellen and I spent an afternoon out in the garden today.  She was gathering a little of this and a little of that for her soup (which, she informed me, contained only three edible ingredients); and I was picking basil while noticing how our plants have weathered the cold, wind, rain, and hail.  

Dill Going to Seed

Visitor

Tucked away, under the withering stalks and yellowing leaves, there is still an incredible amount of color out there.  And beauty.

Hot Peppers

Beauty Berries

The garden, it seems, is letting go gracefully.  A skill I think I'll be learning forever.

The Dogs

Post a Comment