Sunday, August 26, 2012

Bien Dans Sa Peau

The Coat

I'm pretty practical when it comes to clothing.  My favorite outfit is a pair of well-worn jeans, a tank top, and rubber boots.  In fact, if it wasn't for my personal shopper (thanks, Mom!), I might not have any other clothes in my wardrobe.  I have no idea how I made it onto my sister-in-law's new site Northern Swag (it must have been the girls and the pup with a bandana), especially considering that Kim's daughter Cora once asked, "Aunt Zane, where are your heels?" when the girls were playing dress ups.  Heels?  Sorry, honey, the only shoes that you'll find in my closet are those in which I can comfortably walk the dog. 

Amabel, on the other hand, has a bit of style sense at almost seven.  Not anything trendy, mind you—but her very own look.  She knows what she likes.  She is, as the French would say, "bien dans sa peau," one who is well in her skin.  Amabel naturally chooses clothing and accessories that maintain her own state of comfort and grace.  She looks good because she feels good and not the other way around.

As I was scanning the more logical choices for a fall coat this weekend, (something that goes with most everything; is easy to wash; and made of natural materials), she fell in love with this 'faux wool' (price tag reads wool: actual garment tag reads acrylic) purple jacket and put it on.  I stopped myself from immediately dissuading her because of its impracticalities and instead just looked at my girl.  It was so utterly her.  And she knew it.  And then I knew that because it was a coat she would love to put on every chilly morning, it was the right one.  

Indeed, she likes it so much that she was willing to model it for me on a humid 85-degree afternoon!

Post a Comment