Monday, January 9, 2012

A New Year

Longing for Snow Again

Looking back on a beautiful year, put into a book once again by Jeffrey, I am filled with gratitude.  The past few months, in particular, this blog reflected my overwhelming gratitude for our new home, a place where we are sinking down roots at last.  I do believe that my reflections in this space since the very beginning, helped me to affirm what is most important to me and eventually helped us all make the transition to a new chapter of our life.

Looking forward, I'm not quite sure what the year ahead will bring in terms of my blogging.  Honestly, I've considered letting go of the blog, wondering if it has served its purpose, so to speak.  But after mulling it over for a couple of weeks, I can't quite bring myself to leave it completely.  So, I'm returning in this New Year with a few changes.

Amabellen archives can now be found in the form of online books, via the icons on the sidebar.  Thank you, so much, Jeffrey, for all the time and work you put into preserving my words and photographs.

And for the time being (if I can figure out how) I am going to turn comments back "on" in an effort to reach back out to my readers, whom I appreciate so very much.  I loved the simplicity of a blog without comments; last year it was just what I needed.  But this year I hope to communicate with more of you in this way.  Thank you, family, friends, and readers far and wide, for reading my reflections and stories and sharing your own with me.  (Note: at the moment one has to click on the orange post title "A New Year" at the top of this entry and scroll down to make or view comments. I'm not sure exactly how to fix that blip, but we'll work on it.)

Finally, I am going to experiment with shifting the content of my blog entries.  The blog is a funny thing - as an open journal of sorts I've made an effort to keep it consistent.  And yet, a journal serves different needs over time, and I'm feeling a change in the air . . . although it's not exactly something I can put my finger on just yet.  

I'm very aware that these two beautiful girls are growing up and that they need me in different ways now.  My days are not filled with the constant demands of an infant and a toddler as they were when I began writing here almost three years ago.  When I began 'amabellen,' Amabel was three and Ellen was a newborn.  Honestly, that seems like a completely different era of my life!  My blog then was a sort of respite from the daily details of being at home with two little ones - a place to remind myself why I valued giving them so much of my time and energy.  Now we are all still together a great deal, to be sure; but, gratefully, we've entered an era where we all thrive with a bit more physical and mental space.  And as the girls are growing up, my needs for an online journal are changing too.  I hope you'll continue to travel with me as I uncover my blog's shifting role over the coming months.  I look forward to this next chapter of writing, reflecting, and sharing photographs here with you.

Starting Off

Post a Comment