Friday, January 13, 2012

Making Space

_1108770

The day before yesterday we spent a couple of hours outside in 50-degree sunshine on our back hill.  I rested my head in the carpet of Thyme for the first time in months while Amabel and Ellen played with their gingerbread houses among the moss and pine needles.  

_1108778

You might have been wondering what we were planning to do with those lovely candy houses; and, to tell you the truth, I was too.  The warm weather inspired me to take them outside.  Amabel then decided to make a "candy land" for the fairies, Ellen set up a house for her favorite stuffed mouse, and I rested, relieved not to have to secretly dispose of all that tempting colored sugar.

_1108743

_1108747

I spent a blissful 10 minutes with my face to the sun, admiring the silhouette of Thyme, gone to seed, against the blue sky.  There was so much space in that afternoon.

_1108764

Today the little gingerbread houses are completely covered in snow.  

I talked over the phone with my dear friend, Jenny, about making space in our lives for the creative work we love.  I finished Anne Morrow Lindbergh's Gift to the Sea and this passage jumped out at me:

"For it is only framed in space that beauty blooms."

Amabel, Ellen, and I went outside again to play on the back hill.  We wore ourselves out sledding and crawling through the blanket of white.  

The Thyme was nearly hidden, except for the tallest tips along the edge of the woods.  After the girls went inside with pink cheeks, I slipped back out to take another photo, in the same place, of the same plant.  The world was so hushed in snow and quiet without little voices.  There was so much space in that moment of stillness, as I stood alone outside.

_1138844

Post a Comment